Full 2
Address by Hon. Shawn Richards for the UNESCO-IHP and UN-Water Panel
Full 2
Full 1
Full 1
Full 3
Service Disconnection Notice

The St. Kitts Water Services Department wishes to advise its customers who are in arrears to settle their outstanding bill.

Failure to do so will result in the disconnection of their service.

Payments can be made online via our website by clicking "BILL PAYMENT" or at our offices at Needmust and the General Post Office in Basseterre.

For inquires please contact us at 467-1005 or 467-1447 or email us at water.services@gov.kn.

Full 3
previous arrow
next arrow


Change of Address, Change of Name, Complaint Form, Payment Arrangement Form, Application for Service Connection, Water Application Form


Meter Reader Schedule, How-To Read My Meter, My Water Bill, Terms and Conditions of Bill, Service Connection Fee, Water Tariff, District Map


Water Conservation Tips, Brochures

Pay your bills online today


If you see a sudden spike in your water bill, there is most likely a leak at your premises. Contact the Water Services Department to request an inspection or get a competent Plumber to assist you to locate and repair it.  Ninety percent of the times water is being lost through the toilet(s).  Certain parts of a toilet malfunction with age and can be easily replaced.

Please contact the Customer Services Division to have your bill adjusted once you have located and fixed the leak.

You can expect some minor variation in consumption from month to month depending on the activities undertaken in your home.  Pay close attention to how you use water around the home. If your consumption varies widely, check for leaks and act fast to repair identified leaks.

For water conservation tips, please see SK WSD Water Conservation Tips.

The cost of a new water service connection varies depending on the SIZE of your connection and whether or not road repairs are required in installing the water meter.  A standard water service connection is ½”.

Please see SK WSD Service Connection Fees.

All accounts are billed monthly, based on monthly meter readings or an estimated consumption (if we are unable to access your meter). Your water bill consists of the following components:

  • Meter Rental Charge
  • Water Charge, which is fixed in accordance with the use of the property (Domestic, Non-Domestic or Agriculture):
  • The minimum monthly charge for Domestic supply is 20 ECD
  • The minimum monthly charge for Non-Domestic supply is 39.50 ECD

As long as your home / business has a water meter connected, the minimum amount of 20 ECD will be charged on a domestic account and 39.50 ECD on a non-domestic account even if water consumption is zero.

Please contact the Customer Services Division to apply for a disconnection if the premises will be vacant for a prolonged period and you no longer wish to have a water supply. A reconnection fee of EC$50.00 would be charged when supply is reinstated.

You can pay your water bill in person at the Water Services Department at Needsmust and at the Post Office, Bay Road, Basseterre. You can also pay your water bill online or at the counter at the following local banks: SKNA National Bank, Scotiabank and CIBC First Caribbean International Bank. Other forms of online payment will be made available soon.

Our Regulations states that “every application for water to be supplied to any premises shall be made by the Owner […]”.  It further states that “Water Service Rates shall be paid by the person requiring, receiving or using the water supplied […]”.  Therefore, the WSD enters into a contract with the Land Owner when a water connection is made. The Land Owner is ultimately responsible for the water rates charged to their property. The bill can be sent “in care of” the tenant but the owner bears the final responsibility for the bill.

The meter is often placed on the sidewalk in a box or the next best suitable location. In some cases, the meter is located within your premises. The meter remains the property of the Water Services Department. Please do not block access to or tamper with the meter.

If no meter is installed at your premises or if the meter is not functioning or difficult to access, than your water consumption will be estimated based on the minimum usage or historical usage.

Please contact the Customer Services Division at 869.466.3070 if you receive several months of estimated readings.

The cloudy water is likely caused by tiny air bubbles in the water similar to the gas bubbles in beer and carbonated soft drinks. After a while, the bubbles rise to the top and are gone.

Another cause of cloudiness in cold water comes from calcium. In certain waters, the nontoxic chemical calcium carbonate will form a white residue when it settles out of the water. This water is perfectly safe to drink or use for cooking, though it may be unappealing to look at.

Toilet flushing is by far the largest single user of water in a home.  Older flush toilets use about 4 to 7 imperial gallons. Modern ones use as little as 1.5 gallons per flush.  Without counting the watering of lawns, typical percentages of water use for a family are:

  • Toilet flushing 40%
  • Bath and shower 32%
  • Laundry 14%
  • Dishwashing 6%
  • Cooking and drinking 5%
  • Bathroom sink 3%

There are two major sources of drinking water: surface water and groundwater. Surface water comes from springs. Ground water comes from wells that the WSD drills into aquifers.

An aquifer is an underground geologic formation through which water flows slowly. Most of our wells are relatively shallow – 50 to 100 feet deep. Springs begin underground as groundwater. When the water is pushed to the surface and flows out of the ground naturally, it becomes a spring.

More than 50% of the water supply in St. Kitts is from underground sources.

Please see SK WSD Water Sources Poster.

There are several reasons why you may not have water or have low water pressure.

In order to repair burst pipe / leaks and/or install meters or other devices, the water supply has to be shut off temporarily for the maintenance work to be done. This is rarely more than a few hours.

In the event of a prolonged dry spell or drought, the WSD can preemptively shut off water supply in order to protect limited supplies.  During the dry season, it is more difficult to store large quantities of water in our storage reservoirs. As levels decrease, your water pressure may be affected especially if you live close to a storage reservoir.

If you do not have water or have low pressure, it is best to ask your neighbors if they are without water to confirm whether or not water supply has been interrupted. Otherwise, it may be a plumbing issue on your premises. If the water supply has been interrupted, check in the NOTICES section of the website for more information, call your local Water Overseer or call the main office at 869.466.3070. or 869.466.1467.

There are many ways to report issues with your water. Please call (869) 467-1005 or (869) 467-1447 to report any issues. Get to know your local water overseer as they are most familiar with the water system in your area and can respond in a timely manner.

Please see SK WSD District Map


Contact Us

Phone: (869) 467-1005 | (869) 467-1447
Email Address: water.services@gov.kn

Featured Media